Personal Information Protection Policy
Minelec Limited is committed to respecting the privacy of our customers and our employees.
This policy outlines the principles and practices we follow while protecting your personal information, in accordance with Canada’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. It applies to Minelec Limited and any others, such as contractors, providing services on our behalf.
What personal information do we collect?
We collect only the personal information we need to provide services to our customers. This may include:
- Your address, phone number, email address or any other contact information
- Any relevant information related to feedback you have provided
- Any other information related to our business practices.
We inform our customers, before or at the time of collecting personal information, of the purposes for which we are collecting the information.
What is the information used for?
We collect information for the following purposes:
- To understand client requirements and make information available regarding the products and services we offer
- To manage and develop our business and operations
- To meet legal and regulatory requirements
- To gauge user interest and enhance future user experiences.
If you do not want your personal information collected, please let us know. If you have submitted personal information and wish to withdraw your consent to its retention, use or disclosure, please contact us. You may withdraw your consent, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. However, if you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide you with some products or services.
What employee information do we collect, use and disclose?
We collect, use and disclose personal employee information for the following purposes:
- Determining eligibility for employment, including verifying qualifications and references
- Establishing training and development requirements
- Administering pay and benefits
- Assessing performance and managing performance issues
- Processing employee work-related claims, such as benefits, workers’ compensation and insurance claims
- Complying with applicable laws.
We only collect, use and disclose the amount and type of personal employee information that is reasonable to meet the above purposes. We may collect the following information:
- Criminal background checks
- Contact information, such as your name, home address and telephone number
- Employment or volunteer information such as your resume — including educational background, work history and references — reference information and interview notes, letters of offer and acceptance of employment, policy acknowledgement forms, background verification information, workplace performance evaluations, emergency contacts, etc.
- Benefit information such as forms relating to applications or changes to health and insurance benefits including medical and dental care, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, etc.
- Financial information, such as pay cheque deposit and tax-related information, including Social Insurance Numbers
- Other personal information required for the purposes of our employment relationship.
We will inform our employees of any new purpose for which we will collect, use or disclose personal employee information, or we will obtain your consent before or at the time we collect the information.
What information do we provide for employment references?
In some cases, after your employment with us ends, other organizations will contact us to provide a reference for you. It is our policy not to disclose personal information about our employees to other organizations who request references without consent. The personal information we normally provide in a reference includes the following:
- Confirmation that you were an employee, including the position and date range of the employment
- General information about job duties and your ability to perform those duties and your success in the employment relationship.
How is your personal information protected?
We have security policies and procedures in place to protect information. We make every reasonable effort to prevent any loss, misuse, disclosure or modification of personal information as well as any unauthorized access to personal information. To the best of our ability, access to customer information is limited to those who have a need to know. We also make efforts to retain customer information only for as long as the information is necessary to comply with a customer request.
How is your information maintained?
We make every reasonable effort to ensure that your personal information is accurate and complete. We rely on you to let us know if there is a change to your personal information that may affect your relationship with us. If you are aware of an error in our information about you, please let us know and we will correct it on request where possible. In some cases, we may ask for a written request for correction.
We use appropriate security measures when destroying personal information, including shredding paper records and permanently deleting electronic records.
We retain your information only as long as is reasonable to fulfill the purposes for which we gathered the information or for legal or business purposes.
Will we disclose any information to other parties?
We will not disclose personal information unnecessarily to employees or any third party without your consent.
Can you access your personal information?
We promote your right to access your personal information. We will provide access to information upon request and according to established procedures. You may also request information about our use of your personal information and any disclosure to any people or organizations outside of our own.
If we refuse a request in whole or in part, we will provide reasons for it. For example, organizations are often required under privacy protection Acts to refuse access to information that would reveal personal information about another individual. In some cases where exceptions to access apply, we may withhold that information and provide you with the remainder of the record.
How can you access your personal information?
You may request access to your personal information by emailing us.
Please provide sufficient information in your request to allow us to identify the information you are seeking.
In addition to the care that Minelec Limited takes directly, we also work with all of our partner organizations that may at some point handle any personal information we have gathered. Every third-party partner and distributor has agreed to meet our standards or privacy, confidentiality and security.
All employees and third-party staff who in any way handle or manage personal information have acknowledged and adhere to our privacy code and the procedures that support it.
Questions and concerns
If you have a question or concern about any collection, use or disclosure of your personal information by Minelec Limited please contact us.
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, please contact the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.